Thursday, July 4, 2019

July 4



”Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”
(Revelations 3:20 NIV)

This message found in Revelations is aimed at the congregation in Laodikeia. It is described as a lukewarm congregation. God’s desire for this congregation is revealed clearly in the text through the words ”I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!” (verse 15). God wants His congregation to take a clear stand, for or against. Nonetheless, we understand that this congregation saw themselves as a very wealthy congregation who lacked nothing. But the prophet voice of the One who saw beyond the surface said: So be earnest and repent. (verse 19).
It is surprising to note that the message in the beginning is turned to the congregation as a group, but suddenly in verse 20 it takes on another character and becomes very personal, ”If anyone hears my voice and opens the door...” It no longer concerns a collective response to Jesus, but a very personal one. A congregation can never ’be open’ collectively for Jesus. Every member of the congregation must themselves open their heart to Jesus.
It’s also not, as many believe, that it is Jesus who opens the door. One sometimes hears prayers requesting Jesus to open our hearts to Him. He doesn’t do that. He only knocks. Then we must, each and everyone, choose to open to Him. Someone has said that the heart’s door only has a handle on the inside. But if, and when we open, He comes in and celebrates with us.

Prayer
Jesus, I want to be open and allow Your presence in my life today. Come in and share this day with me. Thank You for wanting to share Your joy with me, and for wanting to share in the difficulties and challenges that I might face today.

No comments:

Post a Comment