Friday, October 11, 2019

October 11



"... To obey is better than sacrifice ..." (1 Samuel 15:22 NIV)

Sometimes we are tempted to believe that the Christian life consists of good deeds. And of course, it is true that an authentic Christian life is full of good deeds. James writes: "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?”
But our actions must always proceed from our obedience to God's voice in our inner being. Helping an elderly lady across the street is a good deed, but if you do it when the lady wishes to go in the other direction, it will in any event be wrong.
God is not primarily interested in our good deeds. He wants our obedience.

Prayer
God I want to listen to your voice within me today. Help me to obey it whether it tells me to act or fail to act, to speak or not speak. And if I fail in this, help me to begin anew to listen to what You say to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment