Wednesday, April 24, 2019

April 24



Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (Luke12:15)

Thomas Merton wrote in one of his books, ”Our minds are like crows. They pick up everything that glitters, no matter how uncomfortable our nests get with all that metal in them.” Jesus warned us against the ”must have” mentality. It has a tendency of blinding us. It causes us to constantly chase after new possessions without ever finding peace of mind. As soon as we own the item we longed for, it looses its glitter and causes ”our nest” discomfort.
In the book of Proverbs Solomon prays, “give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that I need” and he continues, “or I shall be full and deny you, and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ or I shall be poor, and steal, and profane the name of my God.”

Prayer
Jesus, I pray that you will make me truly thankful this day, for all that I have been provided. Help me to be content and to rest in the knowledge that you will satisfy all my needs. You know every need and know what is best, not only for me, but also for those persons who will be in my presence this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment