Friday, May 31, 2019

May 31



Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.”
( John 14:23-24 NIV )

Devotion:
”The compelling desire to read the Bible is a consequence of reading the Bible” is a Swedish adage used when the revival was new and the Word opened itself in a new and ”mind opening” way. And read we did, which motivated us to read even more. We read seated on the sofa, on the bus, we read while in the WC, while in the bath- yes, it was almost as though the Bible could have been read while in the shower. It was as though we couldn’t read enough to satisfy our hunger. We read the ”Living Word” and it was truly alive. The earlier editions were so poorly bound that the pages fell out as soon as the Word was opened- and we spread God’s word round about us as a result wherever we went. But the burning desire to enter into God’s Word can be all consuming at times. When we are starving. Later we can become ’over fed’ and lethargic; the desire to steal away with God’s word is less compelling. That’s when we learned that if we desire to keep our spiritual life active and alive, we must discipline ourselves to provide nourishment to our ’inner person’. As it concerns our body, we don’t always feel like eating, however we do so regardless- because we know that without nourishment, it will die. It’s the same with our inner life. We need a steady filling of God’s Word to sustain us as living Christians; alive in Him.

Prayer:
Thank You God that I have access to Your own Word, the Bible, today.Thank You that I am able to read a portion of it today, and in that way provide nourishment to my soul, to that spiritual life that You planted in me through Your Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment