Sunday, October 6, 2019

October 6



”Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth… store up for yourselves treasures in heaven. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21 NIV)

Thomas Merton writes in his book, “New Seeds of Contemplation”; “Our minds are like crows. They pick up everything that glitters, no matter how uncomfortable their nests get with all that metal in them".
Certainly in our consumer society it’s all too easy to fall into a behavior in which we accumulate all sorts of things. It is not wrong to own things, but we can easily lose our freedom when the desire for things, gadgets, begins to steer our thinking.
Alexander Solzhenitsyn said: "When you've robbed a man of everything he's no longer in your power -- he's free again.”
The real freedom lies in being able to abstain - to not be bound to anything other than God. I really only own that which I can give up. The rest owns me.

Prayer
Jesus, I want to be free from any desire to ‘possess’. You are my All in All. I want my heart to be linked only to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment