Friday, May 17, 2019

May 17



”Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2 NIV)

When I attended school we learned how to balance on a balance beam, that was raised a short distance above the floor. It was exciting to attempt to balance on it, and although it wasn’t that high, it would not have been very pleasant to have fallen from it. Anxiously one looked down, to be certain that one placed the feet on the narrow beam and not to the side. Then the teacher would come and instruct us that the only way to remain on the beam was to keep the body erect and look straight forward at a reference point at eye level with the beam’s end.
I remember how difficult it was at first to lift my gaze from my feet up to the reference point and then to hold my sight steadily on that. But I can also recall the marvelous feeling when I realized that balancing was intuitive, that I actually could walk the entire balance beam without falling, if I only obeyed the teacher’s advice. 

In the Christian life the same principle applies. When we anxiously attempt to place our feet correctly in the balance of life, we continually fall. However, God wants us to have Jesus Christ as the reference point, the focus of our life in order that we remain steadfast and united in Him.
When Peter walked on the water - yes, he actually did that! - the water carried him as long as he held his gaze steadily on Jesus, but when he began looking at the waves he sank like a rock.

Prayer
Lord, help me today to lift my eyes and see You. Help me to await that You will help me to keep a steady course in that which has been designated for me to do this day. Thank You for wanting to be with me to provide support and Life in all I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment