Sunday, May 19, 2019

May 19



” Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” (Galatians 6:9 NIV)

My driving instructor made a strong impression on me and I can still hear many of his instructions within me. One day he spoke about the things we ought to do, and what we shouldn’t do if we for some reason ended up in the ditch. He said:

the natural reaction for most is panic and simply giving up; one let’s go of the steering wheel and throws the arms up around the head to protect it as much as possible but” he continued, "that’s exactly what you shouldn’t do. Whatever happens, continue to steer. Even if you cross over rocks and through shrubbery continue to drive. If the car is upside down, continue to drive until the car comes to a full stop.”

 I have been fortunate because I have never needed to heed his instructions in the physical world, but his words have often returned as a spiritual reminder. Because, it can of course be that we experience, figuratively speaking, driving our lives into a ditch. And certainly it is true that the natural reaction is
that we simply want to let go of the steering wheel and give up. But regardless of how difficult the terrain around us appears when this happens, God wants us to continue to steer, ”until the car comes to a complete stop”. In Luke 21: 19 it is written, ”By standing firm you will gain life.”

Prayer
Jesus, today I pray that You give me perseverance. Help me to do all I can to act rightly. Help me to continue to steer even if it seems tiring or my input seems meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment