Friday, June 14, 2019

June 14



"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” (Matthew 22:37 NIV)

To love with all of one’s heart, with one’s whole soul, and one’s whole mind means that there is no room for anything else. God loves that which is wholehearted and abhors that which is partial and split. Catherine Booth, wife of The Salvation Army’s Founder William Booth was a gifted expositor. On one occasion she said:

Show the world an authentic, living, self-sacrificing, hardworking, battling, triumphant religion and the world will be affected by it. But, all that doesn’t measure up to this standard they will turn away from and spit on.

Perhaps we should consider what affect our faith has on our environment. Is the church today a factor that affects and has a good influence on the community, or is the church something one turns away from and even spits at? And does the answer to this question say anything about the faith and devotion of today’s Christians? Does the answer to this question say anything about me?

Prayer
Lord, help me to be wholehearted in all that I do. Help me to live in order that You through me can have an influence over the environment where I find myself, and those persons who I will meet today.

No comments:

Post a Comment