Thursday, November 14, 2019

November 14



"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!" (Revelation 3:15 NIV)

Today’s Bible word comes from the letter to the last of the seven churches, Laodicea. The letter is succinct, and the warnings pointed. The warnings don’t simply concern whether they are hot or cold, but also that they do not understand their own plight. The Congregation says it is rich, but in God's eyes it is pitiful, poor, blind and naked. Within the context one finds the deepest tragedy, namely that Jesus stands outside the fellowship and pats on the individual's heart and asks if He can enter. He is not even a part of them!
But even if the dire warnings have been aimed against the Church and its members God's love shines through. God says that it's because He loves them that He rebukes them (v 19), and the church is encouraged to show enthusiasm and to turn back.
God loves and longs for fellowship with every person, including those who have become lukewarm and those who have lost their zeal. He wants that person to turn back. The one who wins the victory in the letter to Laodicea, is the one who listens and opens anew the way for Jesus (Revelation 4:20) and the reward promised is to sup with Jesus, a picture of deep communion, and to sit with Jesus on His throne in God's kingdom.

Prayer
Lord, thank You for warning us. Thank You for wanting all of us to join Your Kingdom. Thank You for allowing me today to examine my heart to confirm that You are there with me. And if I perceive that You do not have the place You should have in my life today, I would like to open it for You and I ask that You come in and re-ignite the fire within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment