Friday, November 22, 2019

November 22



"Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." (Hebrews 2:18 NIV)

When one wants to become a Christian, it deals first of all with me, I myself must get into the boat, I must be saved. But once I’ve made it into the boat, when I have been rescued - saved, my focus must change and the goal instead becomes to save as many others as possible. The self-righteous Christian who just sits in the boat and gloats in his own salvation will soon have problems. A healthy Christian life will always focus on others. As a result, one will also be doing well.
Being a Christian does not mean that we avoid or are spared life’s difficulties. Suffering and trials are part of life in this world and the ultimate consequence of sin abides here. Jesus had a focus - to save people. And it was as a result of that, His suffering on the cross that we can have our sins forgiven today. Someone once said: ‘Only wounded healers can heal’. And it is true; it is because He suffered like us, He is credible for the person’s suffering. Similarly, our suffering helps us to help others who suffer.

Prayer
What can I say to cheer a world of sorrow?
How bring back hope where men have sorely failed?
Just where I am I’ll speak the word of comfort,
Tell how for me Christ’s sacrifice availed.
Just where he needs me, my Lord has placed me,
Just where he needs me, there would I be!
And since he found me, by love he’s bound me
To serve him joyfully.
What can I do to ease life’s heavy burdens?
What can I do to help mankind in need?
Just where I am I’ll share my neighbor’s hardship,
Lighten his load, and prove a friend indeed.
                                                    (Miriam Richards)

No comments:

Post a Comment