Wednesday, December 4, 2019

December 4



"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.” (Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV)

I can still see her before me, the missionary who would come to visit the school and talk about her work. I had heard very positive things about her, but when I first saw her, she gave no impression of being particularly special. It was a proper old lady with a tie knotted around her neck and she was wearing a casual dress and rather coarse shoes.
So she started talking and I remember clearly how she began her story: "I am proud to be a Christian," she said, and her charisma underlined her words, and they spoke to every single audience member and erased all preconceived notions about her. I do not remember much more of what she said that night, but her opening remarks kindled a desire in me to assume the same courage as she did.
Many Christians today apologize for their faith. Even Paul seems to struggle with his boldness, because he prays that the Ephesians will help him to pray for this. But we may pray ourselves, as Paul did, and ask others for support in prayer, so that we can preach the word with boldness.

Prayer
Jesus, help me today to be proud that You are my Lord. Help me to speak boldly about You when an opportunity presents itself to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment