Friday, January 11, 2019

January 11



“I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." (Isaiah 61:10 NIV)

Today the theme for our devotion is the robe of righteousness. A robe is something you cover yourself with, something that provides protection and warmth. The righteousness of God is a gift we receive when we invite Jesus into our lives. We exchange our sin and our failures for His righteousness. In Colossians 3 Paul encourages us to put off our impure clothes and put on the new man which becomes more and more like Jesus. (Col 3:8)
In the 1970’s we used to sing a chorus with the following words: “I have put on the robe of righteousness, which Jesus the Lord has given to me”, and I remember how intensely I enjoyed singing that song. It was as though it swept away my guilt and I accepted the atonement of Jesus in its entirety. His robe of love covered all my sin.


Prayer


Thank you Jesus that we can daily put on the cloak of righteousness, something we’ll never deserve, but that You give to anyone who honestly wants to belong to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment