Sunday, March 10, 2019

March 10



"The Lord is my shepherd" (Psalm 23:1)

Sometimes when meditating on the Bible’s message, I like to read a well known verse such as the one in today’s meditation. I then focus on one of the recalled words and pray over it. In today’s verse I would of course, begin with focusing on the word ’Lord’. I then think of, and am blessed by the fact that He who is the author David’s Lord and my Lord, is also described as the King of kings and the Lord of lords. He is the one who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. (I Timothy 6:15)
Then I continue and meditate on the little word ’is’. It reminds me that God always acts just in the place where I am. He is a continual presence. I can’t run away from Him and I can’t run after Him. He isssss where I am.
The next little word is ’my’. It’s incredible when I think about the reality that I am allowed to call almighty God, who I just focused on, as ’my’. Not in the sense that I own Him and could do what I wish with Him but rather as one would speak with pride about a well liked and respected leader – He is ’my’ leader.
Lastly, my focus rests on the word ”shepherd”. What is the title's connotation really? A shepherd is a bit of a boss – he who decides, but also he who has the ultimate responsibility, to protect and lead and direct circumstances in order that I can live well. That’s exactly what Jesus wants in our lives. He wants to take on the decision making role, but He also wants us to depend on Him assuming responsibility for us, for all that we are - all of the time.
That’s one method that can be adopted and then scripture reading can become an exciting exploration.

Prayer

Lord! Thank you for wanting to be my shepherd today. Thank you, almighty living God for revealing to me – a simple person, such enormous loving concern in all things.


No comments:

Post a Comment