Friday, March 29, 2019

March 29



“Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.” (Isaiah 55:3 NIV)

A covenant is an agreement of a working relationship of a more permanent nature. The Bible often tells of eternal covenants between God and man. A covenant has two components. On one hand it deals with both partners exhibiting an equal ”faithfulness”. And on the other hand the "trust" of each partner is equally important. If one partner fails in their faithfulness then obviously the whole covenant falls apart. But, the covenant also tears if one allows mistrust and envy to sneak into the relationship; if there is a break in trust between the partners.
This is a special day for me. Forty years ago I entered a covenant that has colored my whole life. Peter and I continue to live within the marriage covenant that we entered into at the altar in Borgs Church on this day. With thanksgiving we can look back and see how the love has strengthened through the years, because both have consciously strived to build our relationship through faithfulness and trust.
Nonetheless, we are conscious that it is only God’s grace that has held us together as one through life’s different storms. Our covenant would mean nothing if it hadn’t been grounded in a stronger and steadier covenant, God’s eternal covenant with each and every one of us.

Prayer
Lord, thank You that Your covenant with me holds fast. Thank You that Your grace is available to me in all of life’s shifting circumstances. Help me to remain faithful to You through all the days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment