Thursday, May 23, 2019

May 23



’Not that I have already… been made perfect… I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.’
( Phil. 3:12-14 NIV )

Devotion:
What wisdom for life we find in these verses; to forget that which lies behind us and to always be pressing on towards that which God has prepared. In the Living Bible it reads in verse 13 ”I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past”. I believe Paul knew how easy it is to get caught up in that which has been. He knew, that if we should manage to forget that which was behind us, we must put all our strength into just that. Whether our past was good or disappointing , our yesterdays often consume our thoughts. It’s this that makes change so painful: not our ability to adapt to something new, but our unwillingness to let go of what once was. God calls us steadily to grow in Him. To grow is to change, and to change always requires letting go of what was, for something new. One day we will be ”all for which God has called me”. If we allow growth – change - we will be complete in Him.

Prayer:
Lord, change can be painful. To let go of that which was ”good” hurts. To let go of that which was ”bad” hurts. Help me today to expend all my strength to forget that which is behind me in expectation of a wonderful future together with You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment