Saturday, July 6, 2019

July 6



“See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.” (Hebrew 12:15 NIV)

Yet another spring and summer I had spent on my knees tearing away at the weeds from around my rhubarb stalks that shouldn’t be there. Once again I wondered about how clever the roots of weeds are and how they somehow find a way to fasten themselves in places where they actually ’shouldn’t’ be.
I, myself planted the sought-after, lovely, appealing perennials in flower beds. Those I want there. But weeds - they just appear on their own.
Once again I’ve been reminded that it is the same with my inner life – that I must actively guard over that which is in my heart, and sometimes I’m forced into action against the spiritual weeds that just appear on its own.
It wasn’t my intent that the negative thoughts should fly through my head, it wasn’t my intent that accusations should cross my lips, or that I would withhold the truth. It just happened. But I can’t simply settle for, it just happened. I have to be stern with myself and actively stand up against that which is wrong, admit my sin and accept God’s forgiveness and cleansing, otherwise the bitter roots will soon have the upper hand in my life and in many others.

Prayer
Lord, thank You that You are full of grace, and also full of truth. You show me clearly when I’ve done wrong. Then You allow me to come to You and confess my sin and receive You forgiveness and cleansing anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment