Sunday, July 7, 2019

July 7



”And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write those things to you who believe in the name of the son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:11-13 NIV)

I still remember the day my brother was saved. He was maybe 9-10 years old. We lived far outside town and had to travel by train to visit the nearest city. He had been in the city at a Scout meeting, and one of the leaders had asked him if he’d like to join another young people’s group in the church. My brother was so overjoyed at the invitation that he could hardly contain himself until he reached home to share the news with mother. But when he was ready to board the train he forgot that prior to his train arriving at the platform there would first be another train bound for a different destination. Without thinking he boarded the first train. When he discovered his mistake he was already far from home.
I don’t recall how he got home, but I remember my mother’s sermon to him.
Mother explained the importance to be traveling on the right train - that the trains could look just as good, but if one were to climb on the wrong train you’d arrive at the wrong destination. And then she spoke to him about knowing if we are on the right train concerning our spiritual destination. It’s not enough to simply hope. Either you are on your way to Heaven or Hell.
That night my brother climbed on the ’Heavenly train’– he bowed on his knees together with my mother and received Jesus into his life.
Later, I too shared in the same experience. Every time I board a train I’m reminded of that act and remember that God wants us to know where we are bound.

Prayer
Jesus, thank You for making it so simple for us to have the assurance of our spiritual destination. You say simply, he who has You has life; he who does not have You does not have life.

No comments:

Post a Comment