Thursday, January 3, 2019

January 3



“The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here…?"  (1 Kings 19:11-13 NIV))

We often take long walks. Typically we discuss things that have happened in our lives. Sometimes we laugh. Sometimes we cry and sometimes we pray.
One day in early autumn we had decided to take a “silent” walk. After a while I discovered that I could hear a great many things. I could hear things physically. I heard a stream bubbling along the path and the sound of the stream was mixed with the beautiful sound of birds singing. But I also heard a lot of things within me, and I was able to listen. I heard God speak, and I just knew; it was He.


Prayer
Lord, forgive us that we are often so busy talking to, and with each other. And, sometimes I talk so much to You, that I cannot discern Your voice amidst all the noise, and therefore can’t hear what You want to say to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment